It is the era of Digital Photography.Almost everyone is a photographer.Most of them own a Digital Camera (dslr, mirror less,point and shot etc) or a decent mobile phone (iPhone/android/Samsung/Nokia etc). Surprisingly 50% photos are edited in Photoshop. Does we are using Photoshop to its full potential?
Answer the following questions,
- Do you have a DSLR camera?
- Have you ever used DSLR camera?
- Have you taken photos in RAW format?
- Do you know the difference between a JPEG and RAW file?
If majority of the answer is ‘No’, you have to read about RAW file and its advantage.
A simple introduction about RAW files. They are uncompressed, untreated version of a digital photo (like an exposed film) which has all the information both necessary and unnecessary. You have to treat and develop to final photo in special programs like Photoshop before viewing it in regular picture viewer or make a print.
Read this article if you want to know more or click the above RAW link.
Even if you haven’t a DSLR camera you can convert your Canon Power shot camera to take RAW photos by installing CHDK hack.
Before proceeding to the tutorial a small history. Why this tutorial?
While working in my previous Motion Graphics studio, one of my friend who have a Nikon DSLR camera(d3100), told me about the DSLR cameras and their advantages. At that time I don’t have any digital camera and I use Nokia 7210 Supernova mobile phone to take photos! He explained about RAW file and showed how to edit in Photoshop. For the first time I am seeing a real RAW file. But one thing the RAW file opened in a familiar window i.e. I am regularly using that technique for editing my photos. I told about that to him but he didn’t believe and argued that only RAW file can be edited to do so. I opened the JPEG file downloaded from net and edited it in RAW editing window in Photoshop. (Thank GOD that Photoshop CS3 is updated with latest RAW package!). And my friend believed it and explained a lot of thing about JPEG and RAW file. And later I showed this technique to many friends (DSLR owners, Professionals photographers nyc and amateurs). To my surprise they are unaware of this technique, using JPEG as RAW!
Enough history. Now we are going to the tutorial.
Before jumping to the tutorial, ensures you have the following,
- Adobe Photoshop CS3 and later.
If you are using images other than JPEG open it in Photoshop (convert it to RGB if not) and do Save AS and save it in JPEG with maximum quality.
- Go to file>Open AS dialogue and select the desired JPEG image and change the mode to Camera RAW and open it. See the picture.
- Photoshop will open the JPEG file as RAW file and you will get the most of the functionality.
- Play with different settings and use Adobe help to find out more.
If you are using CS5 you will get an option called Clarity which is awesome fore close-ups and Macros.
1. Original 2. Auto 3. Clarity +100 4. Clarity –100 5. Vibrance +100
- After finishing just click open and the photo will be opened in Photoshop’s native window. Then save it to desired format.
When you do Done in RAW window Photoshop will save the file with an external XMP eXIF data which have the edits. But it loses when you open it in other applications or do prints. Because only Adobe Photoshop can read that XMP eXIF data directly.